E IS FOR ENERGY (LACK OF), F IS FOR FATIGUE AND G IS FOR GOSH I AM TIRED!
Whoops! I have been remiss so here is a 3 in 1 post. Well that worked out well, anyone would think I had planned it! So what can I tell you about Lupus and fatigue?
Fatigue is one symptom that people with Lupus have to learn to live with. My consultant refers to this in his notes as TATT (tired all the time). As acronyms go it is reasonably apt. Let me try to explain this fatigue…
- if you have had children you may remember the tired that washes over you in mid pregnancy- well it is worse than that
- it is tiredness that reaches your fingertips so that even moving a finger is too much effort
- it is tiredness that means if you get up and go to the toilet you are finished for the rest of the day
- it is tiredness that makes you feel sick and as if every pore and every cell is about to combust!
- it is tiredness that is so consuming you can’t settle or rest or get comfortable
- it is tiredness that a good sleep does not fix
- it is tiredness that means washing your hair makes your arms hurt
I could go on but hopefully you have the picture; many of you will relate to feeling one or maybe more of the above on occasion but if you have Lupus this is a daily experience. The trick is learning to live with it and managing it so that one does not evolve into an amoeba like structure that only moves slowly and with no vigour.
It is a riddle of a problem which can only be handled with a fine balance of medication and a heap load of will power and determination. The pain of Lupus often prevents restorative sleep and for me getting this sorted has been the key. Having ‘enough’ energy on occasion and using it to exercise moderately contributes to a better sense of well being . All this is only possible when the Lupus is under control and NOT when in a flare. Oh yes, F is also for flare. I expect I will talk about that tomorrow then! So much for planning. But having Lupus teaches you that you have to be adaptable and flexible because you never know what each day will bring. Lupus is a fickle friend.