I first made a Peppa Pig from a FREE pattern I found on the internet, from Womens Weekly. It is now available as a bought pattern here is the link http://shop.womansweekly.com/uk/peppa-pig-toy-knitting-pattern
May 2016 update SORRY BUT I DO NOT HAVE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL PATTERN TO SHARE, ONLY THIS ADAPTED SMALL VERSION
they also have other patterns Peppa related so if you click on Peppa you can see them.
Also if you go to RAVELRY you will find many other Peppa and George patterns through the pattern search bar.
And now if you go to my pinterest page you will find a collection of Peppa crafting links
look here to find the link
Peppa proved to be a hit with all who met her and she quickly found a home with a little girl who truly loves her! Having arrived at her new home her new owner was soon requesting her brother George and his dinosaur! Roooaaarrr!
I set about adapting the original pattern to make a George and his ‘pet’. I have reduced the size and took the liberty of also making a smaller (and quicker knit!) Peppa. First meet the Pig Family…
And now my version of Peppa and George, followed by how to!
I have used double knitting in 100% acrylic (Light Worsted, 8-ply) wool throughout and size 2.75mm (UK12/US2) needles. You will need oddments of red or blue , pink , white and dark grey/black along with some polyester stuffing- I reuse old pillow filling having washed and dried it out as this complies to British Safety standards
A technique you will need is how to knit an i cord which you can learn to do here on the excellent tutorial over at fluffandfuzzknitting
- Cast on 32 sts (red for Peppa and blue for George)
- stocking stitch (SS) 2 rows
- start to increase- k1,( m1, k5) to last st, k1
- k1 (m1, k6) to last 2 sts, k2
- SS 5 rows
- k1 (m1, k7) to last 3 sts, k3
- SS 19 rows
- start to decrease- k1 (k2tog, k6 ) to last 2 sts, k2
- SS 3 rows
- k1 (k2tog, k5) to last st, k1
- k1 (k2tog, k4) to last 2 sts, k2tog
- k1 (k2tog, k3) to last st, k1
- k1 (k2tog, k2) to last st, k1
- k1 (k2tog, k1) to last st, k1 (14sts)
- (p2tog) to end
- break off yarn, thread through remaining stitches then sew along side seam using back stitch ( wrong side together) stuff then run stitch through top and fasten off.
- For Peppa you can add a chain stitch flower decoration to one of the lower edges in bright pink or other contrasting colour if you wish!
Ears, make 2 in pink
- cast on 6 sts
- SS 2 rows
- k1, m1, k4, m1, k1
- k1, m1, k6, m1, k1
- SS 3 rows
- k2 tog, k6, k2 tog
- knit, increasing in 1st and last stitch
- ss 3 rows
- decrease- k1, s1, k1, psso, k to last 3 sts, k2 tog, k1
- k1, s1, k1, psso, k to last 3 sts, k2 tog, k1
- ss 3 rows
- cast off
- folder in half and sew two edges together, bottom edge will attach to head when complete
Head, make 1 in pink
- cast on 10 sts and ss 2 rows
- k1 *(m1, k1) repeat to end (19sts)
- k1 *(m1, k2) repeat to end (28sts)
- ss 3 rows
- k1 *(m1, k3) repeat to end (37sts)
- ss 17 rows
- decrease one st at each end of next 6 rows thus (rpt next 2 rows 3 times)-
on knit rows – k1, sl1, psso, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1
on purl rows -p1. sl1. psso, p to last 3 sts, p2tog through back of loop
you will now have 25 sts on your needle
- cast off 3 sts @ beg. of next 2 rows (19sts)
- cast off 2 sts @ beg. of next 2 rows (15sts)
- work 2 row s.s.
- (k2 tog) to last st. knit (8sts)
- break off yarn, thread through rem. sts, join seam and leave slight opening for stuffing
Tail , make 1 in pink
make a 3 sts cord , 3cm long, fasten off, thread end through and pull up to form curl, sew into place on body
Arms, make 2 in pink
- cast on 9 sts, ss 12 rows
- work on 3 sts at a time to make a 3sts cord for 6 rows
- when each ‘finger’ is complete thread through to base of finger and use remaining thread to make next finger (3sts cord)
- on 3rd finger use rem. thread to sew arm tog.
Alternative arms without fingers!
- Cast on 8 sts and work 10 rows stocking stitch starting with a knit row
- next row- k1, (m1, k2) 3 times, m1, k1 (12 stitches)
- stocking stitch 3 rows
- (k2tog, k3) twice, k2tog
- purl one row
- k2tog, k1, (sl1, k2tog, psso) k1, k2tog
- purl one row
- cut yarn and thread onto needle, thread through remaining 5sts, draw tog. fold arm in half lengthways and sew side seam.
- lightly stuff then using running stitches sew two lines to create the idea of three ‘fingers’
- Both styles shown below!
Legs/Feet make 2 in pink and grey/black
- using grey/black cast on17 and work 4 rows ss
- decrease 1 st @ each end of next row (in 1st and last sts)
- cast off 2 sts at beg. of next 2 rows
- change to pink and starting with purl row, ss 16 rows and cast off
- sew up each leg , lightly stuff and attach to bottom of body
Here’s a little schematic to show you how it all goes together-
To complete your Peppa or George use appropriately coloured yarn to make nostrils, eyes, cheeks and mouth (see picture)
Feel free to use this pattern and adapt/ change if you think you can improve it! I would appreciate it if you mentioned my name and blog if you write about it yourself!
PS If you spot any problems then please message me!
STOP PRESS! GO TO NEW PAGE TO FIND OUT HOW TO MAKE A DRESS FOR PEPPA!!!
click the pic
* 29/10/14- Today I have done a search to see what new Peppa and family patterns are available on the internet. I have noticed that the Womens Weekly site is now selling the original pattern therefore I can no longer offer this as a free share. Do check out Ravelry, more patterns aret appearing regularly.
Thanks, Jill x